"Hanen More Than Words Parent Group Programme"

About: Lanarkshire Community Services / Speech and Language Therapy

(as a parent/guardian),

Referred to the group through our Speech and Language Therapist, North Lanarkshire NHS, to help communicate with our son who is non verbal and awaiting diagnosis of autism. The group was excellent and although our son is still not talking he has changed immensely after following all the advice, routines etc we learned at the group. He now gives great eye contact, has better understanding of basic things and can understand simple commands (such as getting his shoes) which he could never do before. He can also play better with toys rather than obsess over things that spin etc. It was good to be with other parents who are going through the same situations and could relate to how we were feeling. I feel that everything we learned at the group was invaluable and the tutor/Speech and Language Therapist who ran it, Anne McDade was brilliant and very supportive. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has kids with social communication problems and/or autism! ! !

Response from Pauline Downie, Professional Lead, Speech & Language Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Lola1981

Thank you very much for your positive comments on the Hanen More Than Words programme and also your praise of Anne which I will of course pass on to her.

It is great that you have been able to put all the advice and strategies into practice and as a result improve how you and your son communicate with one another. An added benefit is the support all the parents can give one another.

My best wishes to you and your son and I hope that your comments are helpful to other parents.

Regards