"Late Transport Ambulance"

About: South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Patient transport service (PTS)

(as a service user),

I was two hours late for my appointment because the ambulance was late.

I phoned for the transport ambulance in the morning and was told to be ready by 11: 00 o’clock for my appointment at 1: 00 o’clock at Southmead Hospital. The ambulance did not arrive until 12: 50 so I was late for my appointment. Because of this I wasn't able to have my full treatment as I also needed to get back home so that my carers could get me ready for bed. I have had to wait for almost two weeks for further dialysis.

Response from Sara Coburn, Patient Engagement Manager, Governance, South Western Ambulance Service Foundation Trust

Dear North491

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear that you were late for your appointment.

Our Patient Transport Service is a predominately pre-planned service; we work to a schedule that has been planned out the previous day. This is to ensure that we utilise our transport as efficiently as possible and that everyone gets a vehicle that is suitable for their care needs and their mobility at the required time. This transport is often shared with more than one patient so we can made the best use of our resources, so they will be times when your journey isn't as straight forward as you would hope.

There will be occasions when transport might be delayed. This could be for a number of reasons, for example earlier clinic over runs, traffic congestion or vehicle breakdowns.

I understand that waiting for transport can be frustrating. However, please be assured that when you travel with our service, our staff will always do their very best to get you to your destination as quickly and as safely as possible.

We really appreciate all feedback from our patients, as your experiences help to inform service improvement. If you would like to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to get in touch with our Patient Experience team on either swast.patientexperience@nhs.net or 01392 261 585.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to provide feedback.