"Cardiology service at IRH"

About: Golden Jubilee National Hospital / Cardiac Surgery Inverclyde Royal Hospital Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow

In January 2014 my mum suffered a heart attack and was admitted to IRH, transferred to GJ for angiography and stent. Once discharged, she was given a follow-up appointment with the consultant approximately 2 weeks post-discharge. This appointment was cancelled. The next appointment was cancelled. The next appointment was cancelled...

In mid June 2015 mum eventually saw a cardiologist. He gave her a cursory examination, at rest, and pronounced her fit. No stress test or other examination was carried out despite being told that her symptoms were worsening and occurred when moving.

In early July mum saw her GP as her symptoms were even worse. He told her there was nothing wrong with her.

In mid July she suffered another heart attack and developed unstable angina. Admitted to IRH again where she had two more heart attacks. Sent to GJ again for stent. Suffered arterial bleed and AKI.

Transferred to QEUH where she required dialysis. Four weeks in hospital in total.

On discharge she was told she would get an appointment with the cardiologist in "a couple of weeks"...Or will it be 17 months?

Response from Christine McGuinness, Communications Manager, Golden Jubilee National Hospital

Dear effieG,

Thank you for using Patient Opinion to contact us about your mother's experience of attending the Golden Jubilee National Hospital.

We are sorry to hear about the delays your mother has experienced since her first heart attack.

It is not clear what relates to her treatment at the Golden Jubilee, so I would be grateful if you could provide some further information. As Patient Opinion is anonymous, we also do not have the specific details of your mother's case.

To help us look into this for you, I would be grateful if you could email me at Comms@gjnh.scot.nhs.uk.

Dear effieG,

I'd like to echo Christine's comments - I am sorry to hear about the delays in your mum's follow up appointments, and that she ended up back in hospital for all that time.

I know that this will be a very anxious time for you as a family, so hopefully we can give you a bit more information to help.

As Christine has mentioned, it would be good to be a bit clearer about some of the specifics in your mum's case, so I would appreciate if you could get in touch with me directly to share some more details.

My email address is lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

We'll then be able to look into this for you.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Best Wishes,

Update posted by effieG (a relative)

Re response from IRH and further response by email. My mum's discharge documents from Southern General Hospital said she will require cardiology follow-up after her NSTEMI, and this was likely to be at IRH. And the response from IRH......attend Cardiology Rehab (basically lifestyle advice and exercise class), no consultant appointment.

So, it'll be, don't smoke (she never has), don't drink (she's t-total and always has been), eat healthily (she always has), get exercise (she always did but is now very limited since having heart attacks). I agree that this is all good advice for the general population and, if followed, will reduce the incidence of heart disease in the community. However, from our point of view, mum went through Cardiac Rehab in 2014 and went on to deteriorate rapidly,we felt ignored by GP and consultants alike. Clearly, she gained nothing from this process. Lorna Gray was correct to comment that we are anxious, and no wonder.