"Nothing but praise"

About: Southmead Hospital

Since my diagnosis with bladder cancer in October 2014 I have received nothing but the best medical care and have felt throughout that, because of the nature of my cancer (high grade) I have been treated with appropriate speed. The consultant handling my case has been very inclusive and has given me clear and concise advice every step of the way and with humour, when appropriate. They have made me feel that I am a person that the hospital cares about, not just a statistic.

I have, on occasions, had to chase and clarify things sometimes in getting out-patient appointments arranged but as it's my treatment/my life, I don't have a problem with this. There's no point in sitting back and waiting. Provided you are polite I have found all the staff, both surgical and administrative, to be only too willing to help. This and the consultant's approach has been a great comfort to me during what has been a fairly stressful time.

Response from Southmead Hospital

Dear Cat - thank you for posting your views of the Urology Service. I am glad that you have found the service responsive and the staff professional and that you have been treated as an individual. We would not normally expect or want any patient to have to chase for their treatment, especially at such a stressful time, so I am grateful for your pragmatic recognition that the demands on the service sometimes mean the administration takes time to catch up with changes to appointments made in respect to patients’ changing needs. Please accept my best wishes for your ongoing treatment and recovery.

Steve Sykes