"Unhappy with son's endoscopy care"

About: Solihull Hospital / Gastroenterology

(as a parent/guardian),

The whole experience was awful. I attended with my 16 year old son for a gastroscopy.

The nurse that admitted my son was trying everything to get him not to have sedation. She even told me to be quiet. She then tried to site a needle into his arm into a juicy vein as she said. After several minutes the vein collapsed causing my son pain and anxiety. Surely the sedation and anaesthetic goes into your hand?

I was then left to wait for nearly two hours for him. Nobody told me I could get a drink and nobody had taken my telephone details so I was afraid to move in case they needed me. I was then called in to him to find him slumped on a chair full of sedation.

The staff nurse asked if he wanted to lie down again but to be honest he just wanted to get home. I do not know how I got him to my car. People were looking at him as we walked along the corridor.

I certainly do not think this is an appropriate way to treat a 16 year old I'm afraid.

Dear Anxious Mom

Thank you very much for providing your feedback regarding your son's experience at Solihull Hospital Endoscopy Unit.

I do understand your concern and would very much appreciate it if you could contact the Patient Services Team so that we can highlight this to Rose Riley, Endoscopy Unit Manager who will be concerned to learn of yours and your son's experience.

Can I please ask you to email: patientservices@heartofengland.nhs.uk or call Patient Services on 0121 424 0808 so that we can obtain some more information to enable us to identify your son on our system?

It would be most appreciated and we look forward to hearing from you.

Marie Helebert