"Home Talk Service"

About: Mansfield Woodhouse Children's Centre

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

Having O. referred to home talk made me feel even less confident than I had felt before. I knew I was doing something wrong! Meeting Cris (+Jack) was nervewracking I didin't know what to expect. We sang a hello song to begin with as well as introducing ourselves. O. being O. was very shy and didin't really participate. "Am I wasting my time" I remember asking myself.

As the weeks went on and the activities changed I began to feel more at ease and I saw progression yes progression with O. We played with farm animals, went on walks, had messy play and O. s personal favourite bubble time. I began to hear O. say words I hadn't heard before. He grew in confidence and so did I. (being a single parent I lacked this) Cris helped me feel this way and that's something I'll never forget.

After this experience I would definitely recommend the programme to others as there was nothing I didn't like.

Being a single parent I thought I was doing something wrong but after having been part of the home talk programme I have realised that no I haven't been doing anything wrong I was just rusty on my techniques and ideas. Now my son knows 200+ words and has amples of confidence. So if your a parent who think your to blame for your childs delayed speech. DON'T there is always help and I assure you home talk is one of them.

Response from Carol Pearce, Children's Centre Co-ordinator, Sure Start Children's Centres, County Health Partnerships

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of the Home Talk service on Patient Opinion. It is lovely to hear how beneficial the work that Chris did with you in the home has resulted in your child now using more words and has developed in confidence. I hope if other parents are reading this and would like support with their child's speech then they contact their local Childrren's Centre.

Response from Jane Young, Service Manager: Speech and Language Therapy, Nottinghamshire Children and Families Partnership, Local Partnerships

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. A

ll of us parents need a little help and reassurance sometimes. I am so glad that Chris was able to help and that O is doing well.

Please keep in touch with us and feel free to contact Chris, your Home Talk Worker or the centre's Speech and Language Therpist at any time if you have anything you want to ask in the future.

All the very best and thank you for taking the time to comment on the Home Talk Service.