"Poor communication and empathy"

About: Bromley Healthcare / Rehabilitation service

My mother was at Lauriston House rehab for just under eight weeks. The nursing and physical rehab staff were almost unfailingly kind and caring but the care management staff far less so. Communication was poor and lacking in empathy.

My mother died unexpectedly while at Lauriston. The nursing staff on duty on that awful day could not have been kinder or more helpful. The management did not even bother to contact us to offer their condolences.

When I went to Lauriston to collect my mother's belongings they had been put in a bag which had been labelled with the wrong Christian name. I found it very upsetting that staff could not get her name right after nearly eight weeks there.

Response from Amanda Mayo, Head of Nursing, Quality Team, Bromley Healthcare We are preparing to make a change

I am so sorry for the unexpected passing of your Mother while under our care at Lauriston House.

Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences at what must be a difficult time.

I would be really grateful if you could email me on amanda.mayo@bromleyhealthcare-cic.nhs.uk with your Mothers name and date of birth and also your name and contact number so that I can telephone you for more information and formally look into the issues you have raised. I look forward to hearing from you.

Response from Amanda Mayo, Head of Nursing, Quality Team, Bromley Healthcare

I am writing this as an update to the reponse Bromley Healthcare gave last month ( detailed above)

The author of the posting above and I have had a long telephone converstaion where I was truly able to understand the issues she was raising.

The main concerns related to a member of staff who were working in our rehabilitation services but were employed by another organisation. We have since approached this organisation and relayed the concerns raised. These have been discussed with the individual concerned.

I am also aware of the significant efforts the team in our rehab service made to support the family of the patient at a very difficult time and I have written to them to relay the thanks given.