"Painful hysteroscopy procedure"

About: Royal Derby Hospital / Gynaecology

I was encouraged to undergo a hysteroscopy procedure without any anaesthetic. I was given the option, but was made to feel that it was no worse than a regular smear test.

The procedure was extremely painful, the gas and air offered was not effective, neither the 2 paracetamol I was advised to take before attending. This was laughable.

A polyp was removed and a sample of womb lining- very painful. Given the nature of the procedure, and the fact that you are worried of a possible cancer I feel this is unacceptable. Flash backs and nightmares have also happened to me since this procedure. I also feel this would put anyone off going for further treatment.

The staff were very kind and caring.

Response from Shaw Poxon, Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Many thanks for your comments sent via the Patient opinion website, regarding your recent surgical procedure undertaken within our Gynaecology Services.

We were extremely sorry to read of your extremely unsatisfactory experience, despite your kind comments regarding our staff being kind and caring, and would certainly like the opportunity to look into this matter in more detail so we we can respond to you more thoroughly.

If this is something you would like us to do, then please consider contacting Mrs N Smith, our Senior Sister for Gynaecology, direct either via email on nicola.smith52@nhs.net or via Telephone number (01332) 785438, who with more details, will endeavour to assist you further in this respect.

Many thanks, once again for taking the time to provide us with this important feedback and prior to us being able to respond more fully, may we in the meantime, take the opportunity to offer our sincere apologies for the upset caused on this occasion.

Kind regards from the Patient Experience Team for Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

• patty plum thinks this response is helpful