"Kept waiting without explanation"

About: Ayr Hospital / Accident & Emergency

I had an appointment at 3: 20pm and duly arrived to find an awful lot of people already waiting there. An hour later I was still waiting and decided life was too short to be waiting around for such a long time and asked for another appointment to be made.

If there are not enough doctors to see all the patients they should not be called in, especially not all at the same time and then kept waiting without an explanation. If patients are late or miss an appointment they are criticized, but it’s a different rule for staff.

Also I cannot understand why they give appointments for times when there is no parking available. Visiting hours start at 3: 00 when all the car parks are full. What are patients with appointments expected to do?

I know A&E waiting times have targets and have been speeded up but the in house clinic appointments are appalling.

Dear Eaten493,

I agree that there is an imbalance when patients are expected to time-keep in a way that we often don’t. On both parts it is often with very good reason and I am sorry you did not get an apology and an explanation for the delay. Car parking issues, waiting with neither explanation nor apology are very irritating.

Could I ask you to let me know which clinic you attended please, it will help us to feed back to the appropriate team? You can email me on eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or phone me on 01563 826222.

I will pass you comments to the team for their consideration. Thank you for letting us know about this, I am sure they will give your suggestion consideration.

Best wishes