"Poor Customer Service"

About: Totnes Hospital

I attended Totnes "Walk-in-Centre MIU" at about 10am on Monday 10/8/15 to see a Nurse for 6 Stitches to be removed (a 5 minute Job), there was just one chap waiting in que when I arrived, 30 minutes passed and this other chap was still waiting to be seen, I therefore asked the Receptionist how long would I have to wait?, as they had no idea I then left and returned 3 Hours later...... to find the same Chap still sat there still waiting!.... so I left again and returned 2 Hours later to see a now packed waiting area which included the same Chap still sat there Waiting for Service!! - NHS Managers please take note!!

Response from Totnes Hospital

Dear Customer

Thank you for your feedback, regarding a visit to Tones Community Hospital's Minor Injury Unit (MIU). I am sorry that you found the waiting times to be too long and that you did not manage to receive treatment from this service.

I am unable to comment as to why a particular patient appeared to be waiting in the waiting room for over five hours. The waiting room at Tones Community Hospital is not solely dedicated to the MIU service, but for the whole hospital. The waiting times for the MIU service at Totnes Community Hospital have been checked, please take my assurance that there have been no breaches in the targets set for patients to be assessed; five hours would breach these targets.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please don't hesitate to contact me using the details below.

Yours sincerely

Emma Davies

Feedback and Engagement Officer

Torbay & Southern Devon Health and Care NHS Trust

Bayhouse | Nicholson Road | Torquay | TQ2 7TD 01803 217397 feedback.t-sd@nhs.net

FREEPOST (FB)

RRLE-KHTU-ZGEU

Torbay and Southern Devon

Health and Care NHS Trust

Nicholson Road

Torquay TQ2 7TD

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear patient

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are shared with us at Healthwatch.

Thank you for responding to this disappointing experience of waiting.

At Healthwatch we are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments should help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss this or any health or social care issue with us in confidence, including seeking advice or information about services, please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain
Volunteer

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.