"Endoscopy experience"

About: Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Birmingham)

I recently attended the QEH for a Colonoscopy and would like to thank all those in the department, especially the doctor and Consultant for their kindness and consideration whilst carrying out the procedure. I would also like to thank the nurses in the recovery room for looking after me. I was shocked at the number appointments displayed on the board in the waiting area showing the number of appointments that patients had failed to attend. The number was staggering! Perhaps it is about time a fine was introduced for wasting valuable time and money which the NHS cannot afford. Maybe then the public might value the NHS.

Response from Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience in the Endoscopy Unit at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted to hear that you felt our staff were kind and considerate. Your comments have been passed to the team who looked after you; they will be really pleased to hear how much you appreciated their care.

We also note your comments about the number of wasted appointments due to patients failing to attend. We encourage patients to contact us if they are unable to attend so that we can offer that appointment to someone else. Unfortunately this does not always happen and the appointment is wasted. We will continue to try to find ways to reduce this problem and welcome any further suggestions.

If you would like to provide any further feedback about your experience please visit the hospital webpage www.uhb.nhs.uk/yourviews