"My operation was cancelled"

About: Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow / Neurology

I had an appointment to be admitted to ward 63 with neck surgery operation due to take place. I called at 8am to make sure they had a bed for me and was advised that I would be called back at 10am. I received a call at 10. 20am and was advised to make my way in to ward. I arrived and I was sent to a few different wards before being admitted. Bloods taken and all tests were performed then directed to the day room.

Eventually after 4 hrs I was allocated a bed. Two hrs later a junior doctor performed further tests and then my consultant arrived to advise my surgery could not go ahead as there is a problem with plumbing in the three operating theatres and dirty water is running down the walls. I asked if this had just happened but no this had been an ongoing issue.

I had initial consultation in February, MRI in March and I have waited for this date since now to find it could be a further six weeks before operation goes ahead.

Why when this hospital has been an ongoing building site for five years is the neurology department in this appalling state? The access to the building is blocked by utter chaos.

The only positive I seen, was the dedicated professional staff who against all odds are trying to do their best in the worst conditions.

Dear disapp,

First of all, let me apologise that you have not had a response to your post until now - it has just been highlighted to me that I hadn't done so, and so I am sorry for the lengthy delay. Your comments were passed to the service at the time, and I know that this was also the subject of a formal complaint. I hope that the response you got through this process gave you a bit more information around the circumstances on that day but I just wanted to make sure that you also got an acknowledgement to this post.

I am really sorry that your operation was cancelled as I know that there is a lot of preparation for coming into hospital, both practically and mentally. I hope that in the time that has passed, you have had your operation and recovered well.

The Neurology Building has been undergoing major refurbishment and this has been the reason for access to the main entrance being restricted. I know that this will cause some inconvenience for patients and visitors in the meantime, and I apologise for that however this should see a massive improvement in the physical environment in that building.

Your kind comments about the staff are much appreciated and I hope that this continued to be your experience throughout the rest of your treatment.

With best wishes,