"Upset by lack of care at cystoscopy"

About: Ayr Hospital / Urology

I had a flexible cystoscopy and before I went to the hospital, I received a leaflet. This had important misinformation, in fact deception.

I was told I would have it under local anaesethic via a gel squeezed into my penis. This, according to the leaflet would take at least 5 minutes to work.

The team doing the procedure squeezed the gel into my penis and then almost immediately performed the procedure. I felt violated and left angered and have now little regard for the team.

Dear James1969,

I am so sorry, I suspect this procedure already makes feel you feel vulnerable and it is unhelpful if the instructions don’t marry with the reality. It is not easy to muster the courage to let professionals do what is needed for some procedures, particularly when it is such a personal one. I will pass this to the team for their reflection but if you would like to have a chat with a senior manager about your experience, I can arrange that. It could be face to face or over the telephone. If you do want to contact me, you can phone me on 01563 826222or email me at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us, we really do not want anyone to feel violated and angry as a result of any procedure.

Best wishes

Eunice

• James1969 thinks this response is helpful

Response from Eunice Goodwin, Patient Feedback Manager for NHS Ayrshire and Arran, Quality Improvement and Governance Team, NHS Ayrshire and Arran We are preparing to make a change

Dear James1969,

As you know, you had a chat about your concerns with the charge nurse of the area related to your story. I can confirm that the leaflet is being reviewed now and the updated leaflet will be discussed at the Urology Directorate meeting a meeting on the 4th of September for input and approval from wider group prior to use. The charge nurse confirmed (to me also) that your medical records will be amended and a letter of update sent to your GP. They will also let me know when these things have been done. What a great result and demonstration of the power of the people. Thank you again for sharing your story.

Best wishes,