"I was told at my first scan that ..."

About: Leicester General Hospital

I was told at my first scan that the baby had died. Although it took a long time for the Doctor to come she explained the options clearly and helped us choose.

The doctor gave us no information to take away and I had no details about what to expect when I came in for surgical miscarriage.

I waited all day then they told me they'd canceled the operation. By that point I'd neither eaten no drunk anything for 24 hours. I cannot describe how traumatic it was.

I had to stay in overnight, alone as my husband was sent away by the nurses, and starve again. Some of the nurses were sympathetic, others just didn't get how upset I was, but they had no authority to change what was happening. I never saw a surgeon or consultant. Only those with no influence to change the situation have apologised; nobody who was actually making decisions has even spoken to me.

The staff on the ward deal with cases like mine every day, they had lost sight that for us it was not "normal" but bewildering and traumatic.

Response from Leicester General Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about your experience at Leicester General Hospital, we are deeply saddened to hear about your loss. We realise a significant amount of time has passed since you posted your comment so this message will not offer much reassurance at this stage but we would like to sincerely apologise that we did respond to in a timely manner. We have since updated our process of responding to reviews posted on NHS Choices and are now committed to making sure we respond to comments within 21 days of the date they are posted. If you would still like you comment or concerns to be investigated, please contact PILS on 08081 788337 or online at www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/patients/patient-welfare/patient-information-and-liaison-service/contact-form/. If you have any other specific questions or comments, please feel free to contact us on communications@uhl-tr.nhs.uk. Thank you Communications Team Leicester’s Hospitals