"Foot surgery. I wish I was a private patient!"

I was very impressed initially with my treatment. I needed a foot reconstruction and was very pleased to be referred to a consultant at this hospital. I was quite concerned when two days later I suffered a heavy bleed from my bandaged foot and rang clinic care for advice. I was asked whether I was a NHS patient as one of the first questions. I was and on saying so felt there was a different and far less interested person at the end of the phone. I wasn't asked my name so no notes could have been checked and no question to my consultant. I was told to raise my foot. No reassuring words given and generally I was left wondering if I needed to go somewhere else. My foot eventually did stop bleeding but obviously there was no follow up. The consultant was good and I would recommend. However........ I am convinced a private patient would have been given reassurance, would have been seen and would have been treated with dignity. I was left worrying, my bandage was bloody and I knew had to stay in place for several weeks. Recommend this hospital if you can pay.

Response from Fitzwilliam Hospital

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Fitzwilliam Hospital. I was sorry to hear the service you received when you called for advice did not meet your expectations. The incident you describe is clearly not the level of service we wish to provide our patients and we would like to apologise for this. Please be assured your comments have been shared with both our Ward Manager and Outpatient Services Manager to highlight the issues. They have been requested to look into your concerns. Patient feedback is important to us and enables us to make changes to the service we offer patients and make improvements where necessary. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact our Quality Improvement Manager, Jo Bowers directly on 01733 842387 who will be happy to support you.