"trying to phone outpatients to check my appointment"

About: Stobhill Hospital / Gynaecology

6. 8. 15 Phoned switchboard -had to wait 2 mins until the phone was picked up. Put through to gynaecolology dept by a man (who could do with telephone skills training)listened to the phone ringing for 5 mins then it was cut off. I had to phone back and was eventually connected by a lady who had telephone skills.

Stobhill please ensure your staff have good customer skills and why the long wait for the telephone to be answered and connected? This is basic stuff

Dear Elly,

I know how frustrating it can be when you feel like you are hanging on for ages waiting for a telephone to be answered - I think we've all been there at some point with many different organisations and companies!

We have a central switchboard which covers the Greater Glasgow and Clyde area and so it can get quite busy with calls, meaning that there will occasionally be a couple of minutes wait. However, the team do try to answer all their calls and connect you as quickly as possible. Similarly, although the gynaecology department will make every effort to ensure calls are answered promptly, there will on occasion be additional pressures which might delay this and I'm really sorry this was your experience. I completely understand that it is frustrating, however I am glad that on the next try you were connected with no problems.

Your point regarding the telephone manner of the first person you spoke with is important as we would expect anyone coming into contact with our services to be spoken to and assisted in a professional manner. So often experiences are determined by first impressions and so it is important that all members of staff are aware of the impact their manner can have. I will share your comments with the relevant teams to highlight this point. I am glad that the second person you spoke with demonstrated this more clearly.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us,

Best Wishes,