About: Victoria Hospital / X-rays and Scans

On a visit to the X-Ray department at the Victoria Hospital, to have an X-Ray of my pelvis and lower spine to check for osteoporotic changes, on arrival I was in a great deal of pain as well as being very unwell with a chest infection exacerbating my COPD, I was at a low ebb at the time of the visit.

I was called to get changed into a gown by a staff member and being obese I required a very large gown, but this was not offered to me instead I was humiliated further by having to wear two gowns, then I was taken into the X-Ray room where I was left to struggle in pain to get myself onto the bench, my partner was not allowed into the room to assist me, furthering my humiliation.

I feel I will have to stop there as I am becoming quite emotional at the recall of events.

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear emotional turmoil

Thank you for telling us about your experience; this is not what we want for patients and I am so sorry that it has left you feeling so badly. We expect staff to treat patients sensitively and with compassion and to do all they can to maintain dignity in what can be an embarassing situation. It is disappointing to hear that your partner was not able to offer assistance as clearly this would have been helpful to you. I will bring your post to the attention of the staff in the X Ray Department and ask them to read your post and consider the points you make. If it would help to talk then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards