"outpatients appointment at the eye hospital"

About: Sussex Eye Hospital

You can expect to be waiting a fairly long time in the waiting areas before being seen (which I don't mind, but it may be an issue of you are pressed for time). 45 minutes in the first waiting area and then 30 minutes in the second seems to be about the norm, in my experience. The consulting time is actually very brief, only about 5 minutes (I actually timed it on one occasion!), and you do feel like you're being rushed in and out, especially if, like me, your eye condition isn't improving. Also, you never see the consultant. You see a registrar once, briefly, and then you see a staff doctor on subsequent visits. They are run off their feet, and seem to have more patients than they can reasonably be expected to deal with, hence the feeling of being rushed. But generally I think it is a good eye hospital. I cannot think of a better place to go for my eye problem, The only issue really is the lack of time spent with the patient, but that may just be down to mine being a non-emergency case.

Response from Sussex Eye Hospital

Thank you for your comments.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact our PALS Team on 01273 664973 or by email at pals@bsuh.nhs.uk.

Patient experience Team