"Holiday emergency"

About: NHS 111 North Devon District Hospital / Paediatric surgery

(as a parent/guardian),

While on holiday in Cornwall my 9 year old son became ill. At first we thought it was a 24hour bug but when his temperature shot up we called 111. By now it was late on a Sunday evening and although it took over 25 minutes on hold before they answered our initial call from there on in every one was fantastic.

By Monday afternoon he was having his appendix removed. I cannot praise the staff on the Caroline Thorpe ward highly enough in the care they gave my son and to the rest of my family. He remained in their care until the Friday and really enjoyed the time he spent in the classroom making puppets. Thank you to all the staff, you are great.

Dear parent

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the website. It must have been a very worrying time for you and I am really pleased to see that your son was seen so promptly and also that he enjoyed his time on the ward following surgery.

I have shared your kind comments with the ward manager where I know they will be warmly received.

I do hope your son has now fully recovered and hope your next holiday to the south west is less traumatic!