"Frustration with my GP"

About: NHS Ayrshire & Arran

(as a service user),

My GP likes to use homeopathic practices over real medicine; that leaves me unwell and means I have to go back a week later. I’ve had an infection for 6 weeks, I’ve been to the GP four times but I've not been given anything effective. It’s like talking to a brick wall.

My GP also made it difficult to get the medication I need, I think it’s the way the system is set up but my GP’s not doing anything to make it any easier. I need to get my prescription from a psychiatrist and it means I need to keep going to him every two months just for this.

I’m not allowed to change GPs because of the medication I’m on. It gets frustrating sometimes and I feel this would be the only solution to my problem.

Dear John Smith 2,

I am at a loss, I feel this is not overly helpful and I am sorry. I have confirmed this advice with one of my Primary care colleagues –

Firstly about your GP, perhaps it would be a good time to get your medication reviewed. Remember that your care should be shared between you and your GP and you do have a say in what to take, who to see and what your treatment is. Is it worth having a chat with another GP in the practice? This may provide you with the safety net that you can still get your homeopathic medication if you need but the review may make you feel confident to try some other medication with the advice from your ‘new consultation’. If this does not feel right to you, then you may have to bite the bullet and change your GP, it is your right to do so if that is your decision.

Secondly, the prescription from your psychiatrist, you could ask him to extend the period between your follow-up visits and get a prescription for longer but this is really your Psychiatrists decision. The reason for the timescale is more than likely that they are reviewing you and your progress at each visit which can be comforting for both of you.

Whatever you chose to do, I hope it works out well and you are more comfortable with your care.

Best wishes,