"Great care, great staff - but very busy!"

About: William Harvey Hospital

Had to come in on Tuesday afternoon after a work accident (smashed off end of finger and bone, and smacked head on ground!). Fortunately, due to the state I was in, I got seen very quickly - and I felt really bad for the hoards of people waiting - sorry! The treatment, care and friendliness of all staff involved, from the porter who trolley me to and from x-ray, right through to the consultant who referred me to the specialist plastics unit at East Grinstead, was exemplary - I can't thank you all enough. Sure, there are signs of there being too many patients for the number of staff and size of the department, and this is proof that the country needs to put more into the NHS. The staff do everything possible with what they have! Many thanks.

Response from William Harvey Hospital

Thank you very much for your kind comments concerning the staff at A&E in the William Harvey Hospital. I am so sorry to hear that you suffered an injury from the accident at work. Our A&E departments are usually extremely busy which is why we have a current campaign to ask people to consider carefully if they can get appropriate assistance elsewhere before they come to A&E (for instance, tooth pain is not something for A&E) - obviously you did precisely the right thing - and I do hope that your recovery is speedy.