"Great staff and efficient treatment"

About: Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary / General Surgery

I'm up at the day surgery unit every year for annual sigmoidoscopies/colonoscopies. Although there are plenty of other things I would rather be doing than being at day surgery. The staff have always been excellent. My last visit in particular was extremely quick and I felt I had been there no time at all before I was allowed home.

I was pretty anxious as having usually had sigmoidoscopies with no sedation because this was going to be a full colonoscopy I decided to be a bit of a softy and go for some gas and air however at some point along the way this point was forgotten and I ended up canulated regardless.

This was totally fine it's a busy department. Although I had to wait for an hour on my own before I got into theatre which again was fine as one of the nurses from my admission walked past occasionally and chatted (her name was maybe Emma? ) and there was always somebody popping in or out and when all else fails there's good old fashioned rubbernecking.

The actual procedure was so easy I can't remember anything bar singing to abba and talking about big brother so even though the sedative only really kicked in at 9pm the following day I was in a happy way!

Post procedure again everything was dandy and I'm very happy about the fact they don't make you eat before you leave now it's a much better idea! Again the staff were lovely and chatty (this time a male nurse) and I didn't mind being left for an hour or so doing nothing.

Response from Hilary Butterworth, IPIQ Officer, Patient Services, NHS Dumfries and Galloway

Dear Teenyweekells

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience on the Day Surgery Unit. I am sure the staff will be pleased to read your kind words, it is a busy unit and they do work hard to ensure things go as smoothly as possible for the patients.

It is good to hear even though you have to undergo a procedure which can be embarrassing and unpleasant you are able to build up a good rapport with the staff so the day does not turn out to be a complete ordeal.

You would have my full support in singing along to Abba, but alas not sure I could say the same about discussing the merits of Big Brother!

with best wishes