"I consider myself most fortunate"

About: York Hospital / Plastic surgery York Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

My hand was crushed in an accident. I was seen by a nurse for an assessment of my injuries after waiting for only about 15 minutes. X-rays were taken after a short wait and reviewed by a group of doctors including Mr. Philip Lim, a plastic surgeon, who offered to operate on my hand that evening after finishing his list. I was admitted to Ward 28 where I received kind and efficient treatment until I was taken to the theatre at 6. 30 pm for a three-hour operation. I remained in hospital until the following afternoon and during this time was twice visited by Mr. Lim.

I attended Mr. Lim’s clinic three days later for the wounds to be checked and dressed and was given a letter to the practice nurse asking for twice-weekly dressings. I was unable to obtain an appointment within a week so phoned the hospital: Mr Lim kindly agreed to do the next dressings himself.

I consider myself most fortunate to have been treated so promptly by a specialist plastic surgeon of Mr Lim’s calibre. I understand he is in York to set up a plastic surgery unit. Had he not been on the spot I might have had to travel to Hull or Leeds for the appropriate treatment which would have involved delays that might have affected the outcome. As it is, I have benefitted enormously from Mr Lim’s skill and experience and the time he has so generously given me.

Response from York Hospital

Thank you very much for your posting. Your comments have been passed to the teams concerned. We are pleased that your visit to us was very positive; our aim is to provide a high standard of service which reflects the needs of patients.