"Waiting for pain relief."

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

Upon arrival and trying to book in. I was informed of a 3hr wait! As if to deter me booking in. Not a problem. I was seen quickly by the nurse And explained in in a lot of pain. And waited and waited in a cold waiting room. With three other people. And a homeless young man who was rudely asked to leave. After 3hrs I asked for pain relief. As sitting in the cold was making my condition worse and all my pain relief had now worn off. And said the waiting room is freezing cold others had taken to putting their hoods up. I was offered a blanket. And 10min later I was called through and given 1 tablet and told it was a controlled drug. I asked for 2 tablets as one would not be sufficient. Again told this can't be done it's a controlled drug. I thanked them for the service and left cold through to the bone. I don't wish to sound ungrateful. But could and would have like to be treated better. I witnessed another person being turned away who was in pain and advised to wait until the morning. The department in my view was quiet.

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to give us your feedback. I am so sorry to hear about your expereince and also that the waiting room wasso cold. I will ensure the staff understand the need not only to be polite, but also to ensure our patients are indeed pain free. Again, thank you for making contact. I do hope you are recovering well.

Response from Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience in A&E and I am particularly sorry that the area was so cold. We do try to let people know if there is going to be a considerable wait, as they may need to let family members know, or may decide to see their doctor in the morning.