"Patients treated with disrespect t by nursing..."

My young niece sought voluntary support from the team at Leeds Becklin Centre, sadly when she politely asked if she could go outside for a cigarette she was disrespectfully treated by a member of staff, who informed her and I quote" it is against my religion to smoke but I will take you later!" I am so saddled to know that a member of staff demonstrates a lack of compassion and basic awareness of the person centered approach to caring.

Response from Clare Blackburn, PALS, Complaints & Claims Manager, Leeds and York NHS Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Dignity

Thank you for taking the take to post your comments on Patient Opinion. However, I am sorry to hear that you have felt the need to raise concerns.

Clare Blackburn

PALS & Complaints Manager

Response from Becklin Centre

Thank you for taking the take to post your comments. However, I am sorry to hear that you have felt the need to raise concerns. It is with regret to hear that a member of staff spoke to your niece in the manner you have described. This is simply not the behaviour we expect from our staff and does not fit with our organisational values. We would always expect our staff to act in a polite and respectful manner at all times. I will share your concerns with staff in order to raise awareness. The Trust welcomes feedback as it is an important mechanism to continually improve our services. If you would like to discuss your concerns further then please do so via our PALS service who can be contacted on 0800 0525790 or email pals.lypft@nhs.net. Kind regards Clare Blackburn PALS & Complaints Manager