"treatment by paramedics after road traffic incident"

About: Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance Victoria Hospital / Accident & Emergency

In June my wife and I were knocked off our motorcycle at the Bankhead Roundabout, Glenrothes. Travelling north on the A92 in the middle lane, a car crossed our path from the inside lane to take the B921 exit. Collision was instant and inevitable. My first fear was being crushed by following traffic but I became vaguely aware of a vehicle blocking traffic and a good Samaritan coming to our aid. I was incapable of moving but when I heard someone was calling 999 I knew it was only a matter of time before the Cavalry arrived. An ambulance and 2 female paramedics duly appeared on scene. We were given immediate first aid, assessed and taken with due dispatch to Kirkcaldy A&E. We were most impressed with the professional and personable way this ambulance crew went about their work and would like our thanks passed on to them.

I would also like them to be informed that Kirkcaldy A&E did not X-ray my injuries and a subsequent visit to Ninewells A&E diagnosed me with fractures to my left Radius and right Fibula. In addition a broken 4th Metatarsal in my right foot.

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear Dundee Violet

What a terrifying experience. I hope you and your wife are making a good recovery.

I will contact my colleagues in our East Central Division to track down the Cavalry for you, and let them know you kindly took the time to share your appreciation of their professional and personable approach to caring for you both.

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear Dundee Violet

I was sorry to hear about your accident which must have been a very frightening experience. It was good to hear your feedback about the paramedics but very disappointing to hear of your concerns relating to the A/E Department in Kirkcaldy. It would be our normal practice to investigate issues such as the ones you describe as a formal complaint and therefore I would urge you to make contact with us to do so if you have not already done so using the contact details below.

I do hope you are now making a speedy recovery.Thank you for brining these issues to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Louise Ewing

patientrelations.fife@nhs.net

01592 648153

Update posted by Dundee Violet (the patient)

Dear Louise,

Thanks for that. Actually, I reported my experiences to Patient Relations a few days ago and the matter is being looked into.

Yours

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear Dundee Violet

Thank you for the reply, I am pleased you have been in touch.

Reagrds