"Paediatric day surgery"

About: Royal Hospital for Sick Children (Yorkhill) / Paediatrics

(as a parent/guardian),

My son, who is only 4 years old, went to the new sick kids hospital at the southern general recently for an operation in the day surgery ward.

Most nurses and doctors were really good with my son - very patient as he was over anxious (causing me a bit more anxiety too! )

However, one particular nurse did not have a nice manner about her at all. She did not explain herself, or her reasons for doing things, and had no compassion about her.

When my son had been in surgery for 1hour 20mins, I became anxious as the surgeon told me the op would only take 1hour. So I attempted to seek reassurance from the nurse. She came back, to tell me that my son was "still on the table getting stitched up" which I find a wholly unacceptable thing to say! He is not a slab of meat, and I'm sure there are much more appropriate ways of saying his surgery was not complete. I am appalled that a nurse working in a children's hospital would use such disrespectful language.

I work for the nhs, and when dealing with relatives, I always use empathy and compassion. I just wonder if she would have liked that terminology had it been one of her relatives? ? ? Other things happened relating to this particular nurse, but really they were inconsequential in comparison to her reference to my sons surgery.

However, on a positive note, there was a year 3 student nurse who actually had a job in the day surgery ward once qualified who was absolutely fabulous with my son and I. The ward will be a better place for her being part of the team! !

Dear Lindee79,

I am sorry that you and your son have had such a mixed experience when he was being treated in the Children's Hospital recently. While I am glad that for the most part the staff showed kindness and patience to you and your son, I am very sorry that this was not the case with all members of staff that you came into contact with. You are absolutely right when you say that all patients, relatives and carers should be treated with empathy and compassion at all times, and this becomes even more important at times where anxiety levels will be high.

I have sent your comments to the General Manager for Paediatric Services, and your experience will be used as a reminder to all staff of the importance of communicating at all times with the qualities that you have highlighted here - compassion, warmth, respect and patience. Your story really shows what a difference this makes to worried parents.

Finally, your lovely feedback about the student nurse who cared for your son will be passed on, and I'm sure she will be delighted with your kind words.

I hope that your wee boy has fully recovered from his day surgery and wish you both all the best,

Lorna