"They excel at their jobs"

About: Ayrshire Central Hospital / General Psychiatry Three Towns Resource Centre / General Psychiatry

This comment comes from a young person's point of view. I have had nothing but support from the mental health team. I am much better and believe I can give a reliable point of view.

Throughout all my teenage years into early adulthood I had struggled with my mental health.

I was referred to a psychiatrist and had no idea what to expect but I found Dr MacRae to be very reassuring, a good listener, caring and realistic about my mental health. Seeing a nice member of the mental health team gave me the confidence to trust that the referral to the psychologist was the right choice.

Peter Ronald was a very good psychologist because he was able to help me change my negative thought patter. He is also a good listener and is always supportive and helpful. He taught me coping skills that have allowed me to control my feelings and emotions so that I am able to function properly as an adult. Something I never could have achieved on my own.

I respect both of them as it takes a special person to work so closely the way a good psychiatrist/psychologist does with patients in mental health and I think it must take resilience and strength to do the job so well. It is a much more complex form of care than any other and shouldn't be undermined. Their help meant a lot to me and without it I would have never have got to such a good place or achieved what I have done now.

Dear secret,

I take my hat off to you (or I would if I had one on). Your story has such a sad foundation but you have portrayed it in such an eloquent way and with such a positive result for you and your life.

I think your purpose in telling your story is to thank these wonderful members of staff; Dr MacRae and Peter Ronald. I will personally ensure that Dr MacRae and Peter see your post, along with the teams and the senior managers. I so agree, it is very important that we value such skilled staff and I know they will appreciate the lovely feedback.

In reading your story, I wondered if you thought how this may help others in different stages of treatment for mental health issues (both young and less young). I am sure your wonderful outcome will be of great inspiration and support to others reading this. Thank you so very much for sharing this personal and frank story with us.

Best wishes,

Eunice

Update posted by secret (the patient)

Thank you. I cannot speak for everyone and it can be a very individual experience depending on a persons life and circumstances but I would say if the CMHT ever want a patients point of view about anything or just going through the process more so the psychologists & therapy and what it can be like when you get discharged or just anything I would not mind answering those questions.

I know I'm not a doctor and I know I've not trained in it or anything but if it helps someone else then the offer is there x

Dear Secret,

That is a great offer, thank you, I am sure the service will bite your hand off when the situation is right. I learned a long, long time ago unless we can really ‘walk in the shoes of others’ we are not truly able to understand their experiences. That is why it is so important for us to really listen and hear the stories that are shared with us, both good and bad.

I am sometimes asked if I know of someone who has experience of a particular service so we can get their feedback, if you are interested in the possibility could you please email me your name and phone number at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or you can call me on 01563 826222.

Thank you again for your bravery and now your very kind offer.

Best wishes,