"Thank you for your care of my mother"

About: Kello Hospital / Accident & Emergency Wishaw General Hospital / General Medicine

During May and June 2015, our mother had the misfortune to fall ill, and then pass away.

In early May (whilst visiting me in Biggar from her home in Perth) she was admitted to Wishaw General via A&E, the Emergency Care Ward and then to Ward 4 where she spent over 2 weeks being treated by Dr White and the nursing team under charge nurse Boyle.

A few days after her discharge, she had a couple of falls at my home in Biggar and was initially treated to emergency care at the Kello Hospital before being readmitted to Wishaw, again through the A&E and ECW. This time Isobel was admitted to Ward 9. In Ward 9 she received care from Drs Adler and Murdoch and the nurses under charge nurse Sharon Morrison. Sadly she passed away at the end of June.

I would like to place on record the family's appreciation of the care provided by NHS Lanarkshire, from the basic help offered at the Kello, through to the excellent medical care at Wishaw.

We had meetings with the wards 4 and 9 consultants Drs White and Adler, and found both of these people to be professional, approachable, helpful and empatheic.

The nursing staff in A&E and the ECW were helpful and did their best to explain what was happening. In Ward 4 the nurses were excellent. However in Ward 9 we found that the nurses there had the highest levels of care and compassion our mother has ever come across in a hospital setting, she said so herself.

As a family we also appreciated the special care given to us, the soon-to-be-bereaved, the Ward 9 staff were so considerate and helpful towards us too.

We would like to say thank you to the staff who helped our mother during her final weeks, and we shall be sending a donation directly to the Ward 9 nurses so that they can enjoy something special at Christmastime in memory of Isobel.

We would be grateful if you could pass this letter of thanks on to the hospitals and staff mentioned above.

Response from Gillian Corbett, Chief of Nursing Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Eldest Son,

Please accept my sincere condolences on the passing of your mother. I appreciate that this must have been a very difficult time for you and your family, thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your mothers care across our hospital.

Our staff work very hard to meet the individual needs of patients and their families and it is extremely important to us that we make care at the end of life, comfortable for everyone involved. I was pleased to read that this was your experience. I will most certainly pass on your feedback to all the staff involved in your mothers care. In particular the staff in Ward 9, I know will be heartened to read your comments.

Thank you so much for the donation to Ward 9, this is very kind and generous of you. I know the ward will make sure that they purchase something in memory of Isobel.

I hope you find peace and comfort that your mum was looked after in her final days.

Kind Regards,

• Eldest son thinks this response is helpful

Response from Jean Donaldson, Associate Director of Nursing, Long Term Conditions, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Eldest Son

Please accept my sincere condolences on the passing of your mother and thank you for taking the time to comment on the care your mother received.

I was pleased to hear that your mother had a positive experience when she required to access emergency care at Kello Hospital and was appropriately transferred to Wishaw General.

I will ensure your comments are passed on to the staff at Kello Hospital

Jean Donaldson