"Poor staff"

About: Eastbourne District General Hospital

I've recently spent 5 weeks in the DGH, I started off in Hailsham 3 where I didn't really have any problems. I was transferred to Michelham ward with no explanation where the care was not very good at all. The majority of the nurses were fine, but there were 2 or 3 that were very unpleasant, one in particular was an agency nurse. They were reluctant to help me when I needed help to go to the toilet, on more than one occasion I was left sitting a long time on the toilet, even though I had rung the bell and at one point I heard them say 'just leave her there'. Also I found it very humiliating to be examined by a doctor whilst sitting on the toilet because they were busy and couldn't wait. I was told on more than one occasion that the nurses couldn't help me because they had other patients to see. When I entered the hospital on MAU, I had infected leg ulcers. I waited a week before anyone examined them and then they were just dressed and I was told it was a job for the district nurse when I went home.

Response from Eastbourne District General Hospital

We are very disappointed and disturbed to read about your experience of care on Mitchelham ward at Eastbourne DGH. What you describe is clearly not acceptable and is not the high standard quality care we expect throughout the Trust. May we re-assure you that we take all comments very seriously and have forwarded your posting to the Head of Nursing responsible for Mitchelham ward. In order for us to look into what happened in more detail, the Head of Nursing would value an opportunity to have a discussion with you and gather more information. If you are willing to do this, please contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on 01323 435886 or by email at esh-tr.PALSE@nhs.net. PALS are a confidential service who can liaise with Trust staff on you behalf. Please accept our apologies for your poor experience. We sincerely hope that you feel able to contact us and we thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.