"no diabetic foods on Ward 18"

About: Pinderfields General Hospital

After controlling my blood sugars for months to ensure my baby is healthy I am stunned that there are no food choices available in maternity for women with gestational diabetes. It's a pretty common complaint, and it is not the fault of the staff, but the only choice available to me for breakfast this morning was coffee! I have been informed 'everything in moderation' so that leaves a choice of sugar laden cereal, jam and bread, or fruit... All of which I have been strictly avoiding for months now because they send my blood sugars high for hours. As I said this is not the fault of the staff... But surely this is an issue which needs to be resolved when a diabetic lady is booked into the Ward. Ramdomly this ward also doesn't allow a toaster so it's bread and jam for the majority which I thought was served in prisons not hospitals. Staff have enough to do without having to consider such basics as providing suitable food.

Response from Pinderfields General Hospital

The Matron has contacted the patient directly and has acknowledged that the service can learn form this experience.