"My wife's time in hospital"

About: Ayrshire Central Hospital / Geriatric Assessment Crosshouse Hospital / Care of older people Crosshouse Hospital / General Medicine

(as a carer),

My wife suffers from Vascular Dementia & has taken approx 16 seizures in the past 24 months. as a result of the first seizure she lost the ability to speak. after each seizure she has been taken to Crosshouse Hospital for recovery.

unfortunately this appears to be the worse place for her. We appreciate the work the nurses & doctors do under stressful situations but am of the opinion that medical wards are not fully aware of the requirements of a dementia patient. I have experienced various cases of this. It would be helpful if a dementia nurse could talk to me & oversee my wife's time in the hospital.

If you would like to hear of the individual cases that have brought me to this conclusion I can advise separately.

Dear Guardian,

I am really disappointed and very sorry that this is you and your wife’s experience of care. I think it would be really helpful if you could let us know your wife’s date of birth/CHI number and address so we can look into this. I will be very happy to set up a meeting for you with the appropriate staff to discuss the situation as you wish. If you can contact me at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or phone me on 01563 826222 we can talk about the best way forward.

Kind regards,

Eunice

• Guardian thinks this response is helpful

Dear Guardian,

We have had a couple of chats about a variety of things that may help with your wife and care of people suffering from dementia. As you now know, we have managed to get a volunteer to help out with some meal times on the ward which should help both you and your wife.

I don’t think it is always obvious how much time and patience is needed to ensure feeding is aided. You have got it down to such a fine art; you must be a hard act to follow. It is great to see that wards are encouraging this kind of support at meal times from both you and the trained volunteers.

I still have some other information to get for you but I will be back in touch when I can.

Best wishes,