"Terrible customer service"

About: King George Hospital

Just spent best part of an hour trying (and failing) to rearrange an appointment to pick up insoles (that I'd been measured for by a very helpful member of staff a couple of months previously). Very long call wait times made this an even more frustrating experience. 1) Rang main switchboard - Told to ring appointment helpline, 2) Rang appt helpline - no record of me, 3) Put me through to orthopaedics - wrong department, 4) Rang main switchboard - asked to be put through to Orthotics, 5) Eventually got put through to Pre-assessment(!) - they at least were polite and helpfully gave me Orthotics direct number, 6) Rang Orthotics number - line dead. 7) Give up, and let off steam by writing a negative review on the internet. Surely it must be cost efficient to improve the appointment system? (missed appointments/wasted time for staff answering misdirected calls/increased intake from patients getting so stressed they have a heart attack?) If it's too expensive to make the process digital so I can alter my appointment myself online, at very least ensure the appt helpline can cover all areas of the hospital?

Response from King George Hospital

I am very sorry to hear that you have had difficulties in reaching our hospital. I understand how frustrating this must be for you. I want to help get you in touch with the right team. Please contact our PALS team on 01708 435 454, or by email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk who will help you further.

Yours sincerely Wendy Matthews Interim Chief Nurse