"ward transfer"

About: Princess Anne Hospital

My patient journey was on the whole a very pleasant experience and the Drs and midwives provided me with exceptional care. However when I was transferred from labour ward after having an extremely traumatic birth I was greeted by a very grumpy porter who made me feel I was in the way and a nuisance. The porter rushed me up to the ward, racing around corridors and crashing through doors. They did not introduce themself or acknowledge me, my husband or baby. I felt I was going to fall off the bed in transit, I held onto the bed for security. The bed was then 'dumped' on the ward and the porter left without even a grunt! They certainly did not treat me with any dignity or respect. Is it hospital policy to use bed rails when the bed is being moved as my bed appeared not to have any. I believe had the porter shown a little politeness and moved the bed with some consideration to its passengers it would have made a huge difference. It is a shame that one person can let the whole team down by their actions.

Response from Princess Anne Hospital

Congratulations on the birth of your baby and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am sorry to read of your experience with the porter when being moved from the labour ward and how this made you feel. We will share your comments with the Manager for the portering department to remind their staff on use of bed rails and the care and consideration of patients. We will also share your feedback with the Maternity Matron to pass on to their team. We would like to wish you and your family well for the future.