"My mother was left on the scanner ..."

About: Hinchingbrooke Hospital

My mother was left on the scanner table uncovered by a blanket, wearing only a cotton gown. She got cold. She is 79 years old. The staff (Radiographer?) told her they were going to get the doctor to check the scan before my mother could get off the couch.

I trained as a Radiographer, and practiced for over 30 years. I never left a patient on a couch without first covering them with a blanket. I know the CT scanner is a busy place but please, it only takes a second to cover someone over, especially an elderly, frightened out-patient.

Response from Hinchingbrooke Hospital

Thank you for bringing to our attention your concern regarding your Mother's treatment. We take the privacy, dignity and comfort of our patients very seriously and clearly in this instance we failed to do that for your Mother and for that we sincerely apologise. We will take action to ensure that this doesn't happen again and if you would like to discuss your concerns further with us we would encourage you to contact Louisa Grice, Patient Advice Liaison Services Manager; telephone number 01480 428964 or by email to Louisa.grice@hinchingbrooke.nhs.uk. Once again we appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that we can continue to improve our services.