About: William Harvey Hospital

I accompanied a relative to this hospital. I waited outside. The whole area near to the front door was covered in cigarette stubs, as was the seating area a few yards away. Not only were patients just outside the front door smoking, but so were the staff. Absolutely disgracefully neglectful. The smoke was filtering through the front door as people came in and out and buts were being chucked on the ground, and also into litter bins. some of these were still sparking as they were thrown away. absolute neglect of any sign saying No Smoking in Any Area, and absolutely no-body patrolling. They staff should be ashamed of themselves. worst hospital for this fault I have ever been to. Terrible conduct by all concerned. not a single person clearing up, or pointing out the notices.

Response from Helen O'Keefe, Acting Deputy Chief Nurse and Deputy Director of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write to us. I am sorry to hear that there were people smoking outside the main entrance to the hospital. I agree this can be extremely unpleasant and our staff do when they can remind people of the no smoking policy so I am sorry that on this occasion this had not happened.

I will talk to staff about the feedback as I am concerned about this issue

Response from William Harvey Hospital

Thank you for letting us know of these shocking circumstances. Staff are reminded regularly (in 'Trust News' and staff meetings) that there is no smoking on the site - and that includes all the grounds. For anyone who is a non-smoker the problem of smoke filtering into the building is also very unpleasant. The security guards are reminded to advise visitors to the site of our ban on no-smoking on the site, but this is very difficult to enforce as we have no legal authority over people smoking out of doors. Similarly the estates staff make every endeavour to keep our site clean and tidy. I am really sorry that you should have experienced this when you visited the hospital.