"Local anaesthetic for cataract surgery"

About: North Devon District Hospital / Ophthalmology

I had an appointment to have cataract surgery which I intended to have general anaesthesia, and was prepared to spend time after the op' before going home.

One of the medical team spoke with me and explained to me what was about to happen and with advice from previous patients I was reluctantly persuaded to go ahead with only local numbing. Even on the operating table I felt very vulnerable. This was totally painless and I'm glad I took advice.

I cannot find any reason not to have a repeat performance on my other eye, in fact I am now waiting for my next appointment. Well done to all concerned you deserve all the praise possible.

Dear Patient

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the website following your operation, as I am sure they will make other patients in the same situation less fearful of having the treatment under local anaesthetic.

I was very pleased to learn that the procedure went so well, as you rightly say as a patient you can feel very vulnerable whilst recieving treatment on your eyes: however with expert advice and time taken to explain the benefits of local anaesthesia, as opposed to general anaesthetic, your procedure was succesful and you are now going to go ahead with the operation on your other eye.

Its often difficult to make decisions about health but I'm really pleased that you found the procedure painless and your vision is now improved, and will go on to be even better once the second procedure has been undertaken.

I have forwarded your comments to the Opthalmology team where I know they will be warmly recieved.

Many thanks once again and I wish you well for the future.

Response from Peter Brain, Volunteer, Healthwatch Devon

Dear 'abuzz'

The comments and responses on the web-site of Patient Opinion are shared with us at Healthwatch.

Thank you for responding to what turned out to be a good experience, despite your anxiety.

More generally we are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and these comments should help the NHS and other providers develop and improve their services.

If you wish to discuss any health or social care issues with us in confidence, including seeking advice or information about services, please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.