"Aneurin Bevan Health Board advocate"

About: Advocacy Support Cymru Gwent Healthcare NHS Trust

I am a patient at the psychiatric unit at the hospital where I work. It was suggested that I speak to the advocate as I have there was an employment issue that needed to be dealt with. The advocate contacted me very quickly and spoke to me in confidence. He explained that it was not an area that he could help us as he dealt mainly with the treatment cases; however he would refer me, if I wished to the Aneurin Bevan Health Board advocate. He came back to me very quickly and said he had spoken to the advocate who said he would help with the treatment and asked, did I not want to carry on the referral.

I was pleased to agree. He explained that he wouldn’t be able to help with benefit query but said he could “signpost” the query to someone else who could, he also expressed a concern about whether I was comfortable being treated in the hospital where I worked and suggested I might like to change. I appreciated this concern but felt settled where I am now although it can be difficult seeing colleagues in the canteen etc...

I feel like I’ve been supported appropriately and swiftly in confidence and so am very happy to recommend the advocate to other patients and thank him for his work.

Response from Aneurin Bevan Health Board

Many thanks for posting this and we are really pleased that the advocacy service was able to support you.