"Withdrawn from waiting list"

About: Ayr Hospital / General Medicine

I was given an appointment at the hospital which I was unfortunately not able to get to so I phoned up to rearrange it. When I called the lady suggested a date but then immediate withdrew it saying that it would mean I was waiting too long.

She said I would need to go back on the waiting list, I could not understand why, if we both had our calendars in from of us we would not be able to agree on a suitable date then and there. When I queried it I was told that it was due to the policy and government legislation.

It does not make any sense to me to be put back on the waiting list unless it is to meet a performance target.

Dear Deeds528,

I have spoken to our referral management team (appointments) and I think I understand the issue, however, if we did have your Community Health Index number (CHI), I could check it for you.

There are government targets and the one you refer to is that from referral to treatment, you should wait no longer than 12 weeks. We are currently meeting that target for dermatology. I do agree it seems a bit crazy not to be able to arrange an appointment in the future that suits you but I think that being put back on the list was to ensure you would be seen before the 12 weeks were up.

Should you want me to look into this, please let me know your name and date of birth by email - eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or by phone on - 01563 826222.

It is refreshing and a little ironic to be in trouble for not letting you wait. The usual situation is that people want to be seen earlier but I do entirely get that appointments should suit you too.

Please feel free to contact me, I will be happy to look into it.

Best wishes,