About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital (Welwyn Garden City)

alot,my nan was in the qe2 with an infection to her heart which she had for months and took the hospital 6months to find out,she pressed her bell to go to the toilet and no1 came so she went on her own very weak and fragile 83 yr old,in the toilet she fell and it her head.later that day wen visiting she needed the toilet agen so i said il take u but she couldnt walk her left leg was dragging n she was weak all down her left side,i mentioned this to staff they did not seem bothered anyway next day we get a phone call sayin she had a huge stroke in the night and there was nothing they could do for her.death certificate states that she died from the stroke which was probably caused by bang on the head.so if the staff had answered her call bell she wouldnt have gone to the toilet on her own then wouldnt have fallen n banged her head.

Response from Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

Thank you for contacting us and letting us know about what sounds like distressing that you, your grandmother and family seem to have had at the QEII - we assume that your grandmother was admitted recently.

Before going on any further, we would like to express our deepest sympathies at your grandmother's death. Perhaps because of this, it is important that we are allowed to investigate what happened during her stay at the QEII. You are clearly unhappy and you deserve answers to the issues that you have raised.

If you have not done so already, we would encourage you to make a formal complaint by contacting the Trust's complaints team by e-mail on patcomplaints.enh-tr@nhs.net.

Once again, we are very sorry that your experience of the care provided to your grandmother while in the QEII was not a good one. While most people find the care there very good, clearly this did not happen in this particular case and it would be good to ensure that any lessons can be learnt.