"Attentive nurses day and night"

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital

I must leave a review here, because the care I recieved in Clarke Ward in June 2015 was brilliant. I was unfortunately an inpatient over the weekend as a result of a kidney stone. The staff managed my pain levels very well, and kept my sickness in check too- something that took the emergency care centre 2 hours to get under control (this department is not so great). In Clarke Ward, they all know their stuff, but are also human beings, and are very reassuring and empathetic. The care is continued with the kitchen staff who come round 5 times a day with food and drink, cleaning staff, and student nurses who are also very attentive, and will go out of their way to help with anything, and nurses that do your regular observations are polite and caring professionals too. The consultant I saw each morning with a team of doctors, took the time to listen to my case, examine me properly, and discuss the options thoroughly, and in good humour, (this goes a long way!) Finally on Sunday, the stone passed, and was identified quickly by the consultant, with a follow up appointment booked in for 4-6 weeks. I left to a cheery goodbye from all of the staff. All I can do is thank you all for your care and support during a difficult time, and rest in the comfort of knowing if I ever have the misfortune of needing urology help again, Clarke ward is never too far away.

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Tamsyn,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write and give us this kind feedback. I am so pleased to hear that you are now feeling better, thank you.

Response from Kent & Canterbury Hospital

Kidney stones can be so painful.... but I am glad to learn that all the care and attention given by the staff on Clarke Ward was helpful and cheerful. What a relief when the stone passed! Best wishes for your continued good health.