"Staff on reception unprofessional"

About: Guy's Hospital

I visited the urgent care centre on the morning of Thursday 11th of June. I was seen within an hour or so and the nurse practitioner who saw me was very good and had a lovely patient manner so no complaints about the medical aspects of the service. The thing that I feel like I have to report is that was that while I was filling in my form at reception, one of the receptionists started to moan to the other about how people come in at 7 and demand to be seen although the list is closing, then started to make unprofessional marks about a person who had come in the previous evening. I was less than 2 feet away and was shocked that this person would behave like this right in front of a patient (the other 2 receptionists did not really participate in the conversation). It is such a shame that the hard work of staff is undermined by this behaviour. I am training to be a health professional at Guy's myself and I know that most medical staff work incredibly hard to respect patient dignity so it is not a reflection on the service.

Response from Guy's Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your medical care was a good experience but we are concerned about your experience at Reception. Please could you contact our PALS (patient advice and liaison service) by telephone 020 7188 8801 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk They can put you in touch with the Service Manager for the Urgent Care Centre and then we will be able to look into this further.