"I know where to get support now"

About: Alzheimer Scotland - Fife Service Fife Day Care Services NHS Fife

(as a service user),

I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s around 2 ½ years ago. My psychiatrist sent me for a memory test because I wasn’t doing very well with short term memory. I was sent into the room next door with my wife after the test. The 2 doctors came in, sat down and let go the bombshell. There was no explanation and my wife and I walked to the bus stop to go home like zombies. I felt really low and terrified as I didn’t know what was going to happen.

Since then there has been a lot of support from Alzheimer’s Scotland and the carers centre. I now come to Fife Day Care one day each week, I quite enjoy the company and change of scene and it gives my wife a break. I know where to get support now and I feel at ease but there should have been more information at the time of diagnosis.

Response from Carol Reddington, Manager, Fife Day Care Services

It is good that you now benefit from having several services support you and your wife, and I am so glad that you enjoy coming along to Fife Day Care Services every week.

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife We are preparing to make a change

Dear Frank1

Thank you for telling us about your situation. I am so pleased to hear that you are now receiving a good level of support from Alzheimer Scotland, the Carers Centre and Fife Day Care, I know they do fantastic work!

I can only imagine what it must have been like for you and your wife at the point of diagnosis and I am deeply saddened to hear your description of feeling so isolated and frightened at that time. I have taken the opportunity to share your post with colleagues as I want to be able to say more about what people can and should expect at the point of diagnosis. I would also be very keen to speak to you directly if you felt able, to see if there is anything else we can learn from your experience. If you do wish to have a chat then please call me directly on 01592 648069. If not, I will come back to you with a further response in due course.

Kind Regards to both you and your wife and thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Kind Regards

Louise Ewing

A huge thanks to Carol for getting in touch with Frank1. I have just had a conversation following their contact and have already learned so much more about their experience. Today I feel very humbled! I will be feeding back directly regarding the changes that have been made since the time of Frank's diagnosis but am delighted that they have agreed to share their story at a future NHS Board meeting.

This is what Patient Opinion and Care Opinion is all about - sharing and learning from experience.

Regards

Louise Ewing

Response from Carol Reddington, Manager, Fife Day Care Services

Dear Louise,

I am just happy to have been be in a position to assist communication between yourself Frank1 and his wife.They were so pleased to hear from me this morning regarding your response, and were eager to speak to you. So it's so good to learn that they have made contact so quick, and you are making arrangements to allow them to share their experience with the relevant people within the N.H.S.

Thank you for letting me know Louise, it has been a pleasure to help.