"They always had a smile"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Urology

7 weeks ago I was admitted to the Urology Dept at NHS Monklands to have one of my kidneys removed as there was a growth on it and this was the treatment prescribed. The discovery of this growth came about after I had been referred or an ultra sound scan for a lump in one of my testicles.

The service I have received from GP to discharge has been excellent. In particular I would like to mention the nurses in the Urology Wards at Monklands who looked after me during my brief stay. To say they were run off their feet would be an understatement, but they were always efficient, pleasant and very very competent. They also always had a smile on their face.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Leigh Hendrie and Lorraine Landsborough who always returned calls promptly and went the extra mile to keep me informed as to the stage I was at in the process of preparing for my operation, post operation advice and post pathology result follow up. Both these ladies are a credit to their profession and allayed some of the fears and apprehension I have had over the previous 4 months, in particular they were extremely efficient in ascertaining where things were in the treatment timescale.

Response from Irene Barkby, Executive Director of Nursing, Midwifery & Allied Health Professions, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear CalumS,

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive feedback particularly at such a time in your life. Feedback such as this is a great source of motivation for staff and makes them feel their dedication and hard work is worthwhile.

I trust your post op recovery has been uneventful and that you recover fully,

Thank you once again for the positive feedback.

Response from Karen Black, Senior Nurse, Surgical & Critical Care, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear CallumS,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

It’s really important that staff support their patients, provide them with clear information and involve them in making decisions about their treatment. I’m delighted to hear that was your experience at what must have been a very worrying and difficult time.

I’m really proud of how hard the staff work and with a smile on their faces! It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with all involved, particularly Leigh and Lorraine.

I wish you well with your recuperation.