"The NHS ward I was treated at ..."

About: Royal Free Hospital

The NHS ward I was treated at was very good. Newly renovated rooms, clean and tidy, attenative nurses and good data technology to have patients' info available on terminal outside the room. Some doctors put a clear personal effort into speeding up my diagnosis and treatment, while others appeared rushed. It took some days to come to a diagnosis, but at the end I was treated well.

I tranferred from NHS to private ward, and I was shocked. The first room I had to reject since the paint and plaster was falling off the wall. The room was small and had a 1950's appearance. The second room was bigger but not much better. There the tiles were falling of the bathroom wall, and instruments were hanging on the wall with hanscribbled "out of order" notes sticked to it. The room had the appearance of a run down 2-star hotel. Nurse coverage appeared to be and staff attendance was worse than in the NHS section. My complaint was followed up by the service director, who called at an inconvenient and we agreed a time for a call the following day - I was never called again. This fits into the over all experience.

I am on my way to recovery, and I am grateful.

f you go to the Royal Free it is good for NHS, but I can't recommend it for private patient.

Response from Royal Free Hospital

Thank you for your comments – we’re delighted you had a good experience on our NHS wards but disappointed it was not so good on the private patients’ unit.

If you’d like to contact the director of private practice, Alison Shutt, directly on 020 7472 6252, (Alison.Shutt@royalfree.nhs.uk) she will look into your comments more closely.