"Staff went above and beyond"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Maternity Surrey and Sussex

After a severe bout of mastitis, which saw me hospitalised, numerous home visits from midwives and health visitors plus many trips to my GP, seven weeks of breastfeeding agony was finally resolved.

Ann, the infant feeding coordinator at East Surrey Hosptal, went above and beyond to help me and my daughter. Together with a nurse from the tongue-tie clinic, they pushed for swabs which led to a diagnosis of MRSA. I was so relieved to have an answer as to why I wasn't healing when feeding correctly.

Finally, with safe antibiotics that I could take while breastfeeding, seven weeks after my daughter's birth, I could feed pain- free. We even made it to a year! I can't thank Ann enough.

Response from Cathy White, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Experience Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Wemadeittoayear

Congratulations and thank you for letting us know the role that Ann played in resolving your breastfeeding pain. I will forward your feedback to our midwife team an Ann in particular.

Kind regards,

Cathy White

Patient Experience Team

Response from Adaline Smith, Matron, Maternity, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Wemadeittoayear

I am sorry to hear of the problems you had with breasfeedng but I am delighted to hear that Ann was able to help you during this difficult time. I have shared your commnication with Ann and would like to say "Thank You" for taking time out of busy family life to feed back to us.

Kind Regards