"Soaking wet in ED department"

About: Derriford Hospital

On the 1/6/2015 I collapsed on way home from already been discharged from the ED department,the weather was terrible with very heavy rain.By the time I was picked up by the ambulance & arrived at Derriford hospital I was soaked through to my underwear. After not been seen by anyone for about 45 mins & being left by the doctors station I asked when I would be placed in a cubicle,after another 15 mins & feeling very wet & shivering from the cold,I asked a doctor for help & if I was able to stand then their was a not wrong with me & if I didn't like it I was free to leave. I was so cold & wet & worried about getting pneumonia for the second time in a year & just getting over heart surgery that the safest place for me even though I had a head wound & had collapsed was at home. When I got home I told my wife never allow me to go to Derriford hospital ever again.The doctors I saw are so arrogant they have know compassion.

Response from Genny Turner, Senior Quality Facilitator, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

The Emergency Department Matron would like to apologise for the perception of the way that the doctor spoke to you. The Emergency Department is currently extremely busy and we have to prioritise the needs of the patients in the allocation of cubicles.

Matron has asked if you would be kind enough to contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team on 01752 439884 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net.

The PALS team will require additional information from you regarding your personal details to ensure they can liaise with Matron to ensure a full investigate can be completed.

Best wishes