"Finding a ward in Crosshouse"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Dermatology

I was going for a check up to an out patients appointment in Crosshouse.

The service and staff were fantastic cannot fault it.

The only thing I would like to say (it’s been a while since I have been to Crosshouse Hospital) so when I entered the hospital to be greeted by the board of colour pathways. The only problem is my letter did not tell me what colour pathway I should be following. I did find my ward after going to the wrong place initially (member of staff went out of her way to point me in the right direction)

I think the colour pathways look great and easy to understand but think it would help patients if the letter was colour coded too.

Dear Prestwick,

About your idea, is this not just fabulous? It seems such a logical idea. One thing I do know about the NHS, when it comes to making ‘simple’ ideas work with our various IT systems, it is unlikely to be simple at all but I will be delighted to pass this on to the management teams for their contemplation.

I will feed back to you via PO if this is something that can be done and I am sure it would really help a lot of people find their way about. Appointment letters are generated by a lot of different services/area, so it is something that, if possible, may take some time.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. It is so good to hear that the colour coding signs work and your care by the staff was so good

Best wishes

Eunice

Response from Eunice Goodwin, Patient Feedback Manager for NHS Ayrshire and Arran, Quality Improvement and Governance Team, NHS Ayrshire and Arran We have made a change

Dear Prestwick – What a fabulous outcome as a result of your post. Fiona, our Pre-operative Assessment Manager at University Hospital Crosshouse sent me an email this morning to say

‘As a direct result of a comment made on Patient Opinion by Prestwick I have had the pre-op assessment letters amended to include the zone colour (in our case pink)’.

Fiona went on to say: ‘It would be great if all hospital appointment letters did the same’.

Thank you Prestwick and Fiona, this will help many people, now we need to try to help more by working on the rest of the letters.

Best wishes

• Prestwick thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Prestwick (the patient)

That is fabulous - great to hear that is can be implemented without to many problems.

Just goes to show that these forums work.

Thanks for keeping me up to date

You are most welcome, a great outcome,

Dear Prestwick,

Here is a wee update on the roll-out of the zone colours being added to letters. Several services have been doing this for some time now, including Main out patient's, Max fac, and Physiotherapy and OT. There is currently work on going to roll this out as far as possible to all the Allied Health Professional Services, which include medical imaging (X-Ray) etc.

Thank you again for your great idea.

• Prestwick thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Prestwick (the patient)

Always great to see how things roll out - thanks for the update.

You are welcome, it is good to see things change for the better.