"Waiting For An Operation, I don't know what is going to happen"

About: Queen Alexandra Hospital / Accident and emergency

I was admitted to QA hospital last week after suffering severe abdominal pain. I was given a number of tests and then told I needed an operation. Two doctors advised me that I needed the operation but despite been told that I would be getting emergency surgery I was then discharged with medication and then told I would be getting this operation later.

Since I was discharged I have been given no information at all about this operation and now my medication has run out. I will need to attend Accident and Emergency again and wait for hours just to get medication and hopefully be able to get operation again.

The QA Hospital has not given my doctor any details of the medication I need and despite numerous calls to the hospital I have not been told anything. This lack of communication and care has been appalling and I do not know what is going to happen.

Response from Marion Brown, Head of Complaints and Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS), Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust

I am very sorry to hear that you are in such a worried state and would like to try to help sort this out today. Can you please e-mail us direct with your details so that we can get someone to call you with advice. Please e-mail PHT.Complaints@porthosp.nhs.uk

or telephone us on 023 9228 6000 (ext 3474). We are awaiting your call or e-mail and look forward to getting you the help that you need.

Response from Queen Alexandra Hospital

Thank you for your feedback. We are unable to currently look into this as you have not provided us with enough information regarding where this took place. However, if you would be happy to contact our PALS Team at: PHT.Pals@porthosp.nhs.uk or via the free phone on 0800 9176039 then we would really appreciate the opportunity to look into this for you. With best wishes Leanne Complaints Officer