"The care my Grandmother received"

About: Girvan Community Hospital

My Gran has both vascular dementia and Alzheimers' disease. Whilst recovering from a broken leg, she was transferred to Girvan Community Hospital for rehab. This is a new build and in no way meets the needs of dementia patients or those at a fall risk. The building consists only of single rooms, many not in view of nursing stations. My Gran fell three times within ten days, on the third occasion fracturing a further two bones. She should have been in there to get better, instead she got worse. NHS Ayrshire & Arran need to note this hospital is in no way suitable for the needs of dementia patients.

Dear Kiki2810

I am so sorry that your Gran has fallen while in the hospital. I do understand your concern for her and her care and quite rightly so. I am sorry to say that I do not have a more full response right now but I would like to refer this to our Senior Nurse for this area. They will return from annual leave next week and we will get back to you then.

Meantime, I do hope your Gran has recovered from her falls and is as well as possible.

Best wishes,

Eunice

Response from Andrew Moore, Assistant Director of Nursing, NHS Ayrshire & Arran

Dear Kiki2810,

I was concerned to read of your Gran's recent care experience in Girvan Comunity Hospital. The level of supervision and support for patients should reflect the assessed risk. I would be grateful if you could provide me with your Gran's demographic details in order to explore your concerns. You can email me or phone me directly andrew.moore@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or 01292 513682

Many thanks